About WordPress Accessibility Meetup
As part of our commitment to giving back and sharing knowledge, we run an official WordPress meetup centered on building more accessible websites with WordPress.
The WordPress Accessibility Meetup is a global group of WordPress developers, designers, and users interested in building more accessible websites. The group meets twice per month for presentations on a variety of topics related to making WordPress websites that can be used by people of all abilities.
Meetups take place on the first Thursday of the month at 10:00 AM U.S. central time and on the third Monday of the month at 7 PM U.S. central time.
- Approved for Continuing Accessibility Education Credits (CAECs) from the IAAP
- Meetups are free and take place via Zoom.
- Two time slots per month allow attendees from around the world to join.
- All meetups are live captioned.
- When sponsorship allows, ASL interpreters are available.
- Captioned recordings and transcripts available after every event.
All meetups are held virtually via Zoom so you can join from anywhere. Our meetups are live captioned and some have ASL interpretation. Registration on Zoom webinars is required to attend. Visit an event page, linked below, to get the Zoom registration link or learn more about the topic for that meetup.
Thank you to our sponsors who cover the costs of our meetup and help make live captioning, ASL interpretation, and post-event transcription possible. Contact us to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.
Past Event Recordings
Need to catch up on past events? Watch or read a recap of all previous WordPress Accessibility Meetups below. Thanks to Empire Caption Solutions for donating transcription and captioning services.
Like a meetup? Post about it on social media using #WPa11yMeetup!
Meetups held in 2023
- Paid Memberships Pro Plugin Accessibility Audit: Alex Stine and Amber Hinds
- Grow Revenue with Accessibility Monitoring & Remediation Plans: Amber Hinds
- Documenting Accessibility Issues During an Audit: Raghavendra Satish Peri
- Anatomy of an Accessible Nav: Steve Jones
- Audio Description: If Your Eyes Could Speak: Joel Snyder
- How to Counter Arguments from Developers and Designers: Anne-Mieke Bovelett
Meetups held in 2022
- Underrepresented in Tech Accessibility Audit: Alex Stine & Amber Hinds
- Selling Your Clients on Accessibility: Ryan Bracey
- Be an A11y with Your Content: Alicia St. Rose
- InDesign & PDF Accessibility Mistakes & How to Fix Them: Colleen Gratzer
- Transcription Types for Real-time Settings and Recorded Media: Daniel Sommer
- Basic Accessibility Testing: Glen Walker
- Training Screen Reader User Testers: Nick Corbett
- Making Accessible WordPress Websites in the Full Site Editor: Danielle Zarcaro
- The Impact of Accessible Web Documents Requirements: Dax Castro
- The Alt Scene: When and How to Write Alternative Text: Meg “Memi” Miller
- Accessible Design Systems + Epilepsy: Dacey Nolan and Alex Zlatkus
- Contributing to the WP Accessibility Community: Joe Dolson
- So, You Want an Accessibility Score? – Karl Groves
- GAAD Panel Discussion: Accessible User Experiences
- Government Website Redesign: Implementing Accessibility: Daniel Schutzsmith
- Accessible Social Media: Matisse Hamel-Nelis
- HTML Forms and Web Accessibility: Cam Beaudoin
- The Internet is Unusable: The Disabled View: Nicolas Steenhout
- U.S. Web Accessibility Landscape 2022: Lainey Feingold
- Accessible Content Creation: Ronnie Burt
- Learning Accessibility & Community Discussion: Sally Thoun
- Auditing GiveWP for Accessibility: Alex Stine, Amber Hinds, and Matt Cromwell
- Accessible Typography: Carie Fisher
- Accessibility Overlays – All Sizzle, No Steak: Karl Groves
Meetups held in 2021
- Testing FacetWP for Accessibility: Joyce Oshita & Chris Lane
- How to Create Accessible Captioned Videos for WordPress Sites & Beyond: Meryl Evans
- Building a Custom Plugin with an Accessibility First Approach: Phil Webster
- How to Use NVDA (Screen Reader): Glen Walker
- Best Practices for Screen Reader Text: Nick Croft
- How Ignoring Accessibility Costs You And Your Clients: Colleen Gratzer
- How to Run User Test with Real-World Users: Amber Hinds
- 4 Ways to Learn Accessibility: Joe Simpson
- All About WP Accessibility: Joe Dolson
- Five Reasons to Make Websites Accessible: Bet Hannon
- The Importance of Making Your WordPress Backend Accessible: Taylor Arndt
- How to Test Your Website for Accessibility Problems: Amber Hinds
Get event reminders and recaps in your inbox.
Subscribe to our Focus State newsletter and get 2 emails a month with meetup and website accessibility news delivered conveniently to your inbox.