We’re excited to announce that we’re hiring a Web Developer to join our team. This is an hourly, contract position that will do work for both of our brands, Equalize Digital, and our full-service digital marketing agency, Road Warrior Creative.
About Our Brands
Based in Georgetown, Texas, we’re a Certified B Corporation with a small team of creatives and web experts located around the world, each of whom contributes unique local community experiences along with their technical talents. This geographic diversity is a strong asset as we work with clients not only from coast to coast but also across the Atlantic and Pacific.
Our small team prides itself on delivering a boutique agency experience with big agency results, under our two distinct brands.
Equalize Digital is a WordPress VIP Silver Agency Partner, specializing in building highly custom, accessibility-first websites and web applications. We have a SaaS product, Accessibility Checker, that audits websites for accessibility errors and displays results directly in the WordPress admin dashboard, making it easier for developers, designers, and content managers to make and maintain websites that are free of accessibility errors and that work for everyone. We organize the official WordPress Accessibility Meetup and are advocates for web accessibility in all we do.
Road Warrior Creative
Road Warrior Creative is the marketing, design, and website optimization department for clients across the globe. We partner with businesses looking to grow and polish their online presence, offering social media management, blog writing, search engine optimization, and email marketing, among other services.
Everything we do is driven by our core values.
There is a difference between “work” and “how you make a living.” We believe that joy can be found in work, but we also believe that there is more to life than work. In every interaction, we strive to increase impact and add long-term value to our clients and our employees.
We believe in being available when our clients need us and doing our part to keep our online world running smoothly, without sacrificing the things that matter most. We also believe in being present for our families, taking an afternoon off to watch a school play, and weekends spent away from a screen.
We believe that our actions can bring change, and we believe in inspiring others to be change agents in their businesses. There can always be more, we can always be better, and we can always grow both personally and professionally.
Open Source Employee Handbook
For anyone who works with us, we believe honesty and transparency are the cornerstones of any successful working relationship. Want to know exactly how we operate? Click here to view our open-source employee handbook.
Web Developer (Contract)
Web Developers at Equalize Digital / Road Warrior Creative create, maintain, and update features on both internal and customer websites. They work independently to maximize customer success and satisfaction by delivering best-in-class results on each and every task, which frees up senior developers and company leadership to focus on larger projects and other strategic priorities.
- Full stack developer
- Understands both back-end and front-end development.
- Extremely competent at local dev and Git version control (Github + Bitbucket).
- Experience with Composer, preprocessors, and NPM.
- WordPress proficiency
- Proven understanding of the WordPress CMS.
- Solid grasp of WordPress architecture, mainstream themes and plugins, and building custom themes.
- Experience with Genesis, Astra, Elementor, Gravity Forms, Advanced Custom Fields, Facet WP, Restrict Content Pro, and WooCommerce are all beneficial.
- General web/cloud software familiarity
- Familiarity with Google Workspace, SMTP, DNS, SSL, Hosting Platforms (Flywheel, WP Engine, Siteground, GoDaddy), Cloudflare, major browsers, and Windows + iOS.
- Observes best practices
- Solutions adhere to commonly accepted best practices for accessibility (WCAG), responsive design, page speed, and SEO principles.
- A solid grasp of web design and UX principles is highly desirable.
- Effective troubleshooter
- Able to research, identify, and test solutions independently.
- Capable of navigating unfamiliar software platforms to achieve outcomes.
- Recognizes when they may have hit a wall and asks for help.
- Naturally helpful
- Enjoys helping and communicating with clients directly.
- Proactively considers client needs and creates a positive experience.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a minimum of three (3) years experience in a similar role OR a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with one (1) year experience OR a code bootcamp certificate with one (1) year experience. Note: this is not a senior-level position.
All applicants must be fluent in written and spoken English. We are not limiting this search to specific location(s) or countries, anyone can apply. The ability to align work schedule with USA time zones is highly desirable.
These are the qualities we value in our team:
- Intelligence. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Attention to Detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Proactivity. Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Builds trust, maintains confidence and focuses on doing the right thing.
- Adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Communication. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose. Maintains this standard across all channels of communication.
- Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Open to Critique. Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism.
- In collaboration with Project Managers, monitors support channels and project dashboard communications for new requests and responds appropriately.
- Manage development and support tasks independently, and appropriately escalate to other team members when needed.
- Test and run updates on complex WordPress environments on a monthly basis. Proactively investigate update failures and remediate when necessary.
- Adds new features to existing websites and collaborates with clients on changes.
- Occasionally supports development on new website builds for larger projects.
This is a contract, hourly position with an anticipated need for 10-15 hours per week on average. Pay range of $45 – $75 per hour, depending upon individual experience and skillset. The ideal candidate will be a freelancer with a good amount of open capacity, or someone with a dedicated part-time job who is looking to generate additional income on the side.
As a contractor, you would be expected to:
- Keep your own schedule and set clear expectations around hours of availability.
- Provide our company with Web Developer services on an as-needed basis.
- Provide invoices for hours worked, either weekly or monthly.
- Provide for and maintain your own computer equipment and software.
- Work on other projects or in other positions freely. We do not expect exclusivity.
Direct deposit is available to applicants living in the United States.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position. Thank you for your interest!