We’re excited to announce that we’re hiring a Accessibility Tester to join our team. This is an hourly, contract position that will do work for primarily for our Equalize Digital brand. Please note that our team also manages a full-service, boutique digital marketing agency, Road Warrior Creative.
About Our Brands
Based in Georgetown, Texas, we’re a Certified B Corporation with a small team of creatives and web experts located around the world, each of whom contributes unique local community experiences along with their technical talents. This geographic diversity is a strong asset as we work with clients not only from coast to coast but also across the Atlantic and Pacific.
Our small team prides itself on delivering a boutique agency experience with big agency results, under our two distinct brands.
Equalize Digital is a WordPress VIP Silver Agency Partner, specializing in building highly custom, accessibility-first websites and web applications. We have a SaaS product, Accessibility Checker, that audits websites for accessibility errors and displays results directly in the WordPress admin dashboard, making it easier for developers, designers, and content managers to make and maintain websites that are free of accessibility errors and that work for everyone. We organize the official WordPress Accessibility Meetup and are advocates for web accessibility in all we do.
Road Warrior Creative
Road Warrior Creative is the marketing, design, and website optimization department for clients across the globe. We partner with businesses looking to grow and polish their online presence, offering social media management, blog writing, search engine optimization, and email marketing, among other services.
Everything we do is driven by our core values.
There is a difference between “work” and “how you make a living.” We believe that joy can be found in work, but we also believe that there is more to life than work. In every interaction, we strive to increase impact and add long-term value to our clients and our employees.
We believe in being available when our clients need us and doing our part to keep our online world running smoothly, without sacrificing the things that matter most. We also believe in being present for our families, taking an afternoon off to watch a school play, and weekends spent away from a screen.
We believe that our actions can bring change, and we believe in inspiring others to be change agents in their businesses. There can always be more, we can always be better, and we can always grow both personally and professionally.
Read more about our values on our about page.
Open Source Employee Handbook
For anyone who works with us, we believe honesty and transparency are the cornerstones of any successful working relationship. Want to know exactly how we operate? Click here to view our open-source employee handbook.
Accessibility Tester (Contract)
Accessibility Specialists at Equalize Digital analyze, document, and validate the accessibility status of WordPress websites, including accessibility status of both the frontend and, in some cases, the admin dashboard. Accessibility is determined based upon overall usability for all people, adherence to generally accepted best practices, and alignment with the most current version of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Accessibility expert
- Demonstrated mastery of POUR principles and WCAG.
- UX expert who understands the impact of various accessibility problems on users of all abilities beyond technical WCAG compliance.
- Understands at a high level which laws govern accessibility requirements, particularly U.S. laws.
- Thorough tester
- Effectively tests with in-browser evaluation tools, screen readers, and keyboard.
- Relentlessly tracks and documents WCAG and general usability failures.
- WordPress knowledge
- Has used the WordPress CMS and possesses a basic understanding of its infrastructure.
- Knowledge of the block editor and familiarity with major page building tools (Elementor, Beaver Builder, Divi) is beneficial.
- Able to identify the source of accessibility problems in a WordPress environment (plugin, theme, content) and recommend appropriate fixes.
- Solution minded
- Goes beyond pointing out problems.
- Offers actionable recommendations and ideates solutions that improve usability and speed up remediation efforts.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a minimum of two (2) years experience in a similar role OR a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with one (1) year experience.
A CPACC, WAS, or Trusted Tester Certificate is strongly preferred. Note: this is not a senior-level position.
All applicants must be fluent in written and spoken English. We are not limiting this search to specific location(s) or countries, anyone can apply. The ability to align work schedule with USA time zones is highly desirable.
These are the qualities we value in our team:
- Intelligence. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Attention to Detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Proactivity. Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Builds trust, maintains confidence and focuses on doing the right thing.
- Adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Communication. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose. Maintains this standard across all channels of communication.
- Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Open to Critique. Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism.
- Analyzes web pages, tools, and dashboards (WordPress) for accessibility using a combination of in-browser evaluation tools, keyboard, and screen readers.
- Provides detailed, written documentation of accessibility failures in tabular format, pinpointing the source of the failure wherever possible.
- Offers professional recommendations related to accessibility best practices in a way that is highly actionable for developers and content specialists.
- Assists with remediation planning and upon request, supplies a high-level summary or overview of the accessibility status of a website, online tool, or dashboard.
- May occasionally be asked to attend client meetings and present a summary of their findings via video conferencing tools.
- May be asked to log accessibility failures and/or mark false positives as “ignored” within Equalize Digital’s accessibility scanning tools, in addition to supplying their own reports.
This is a contract, hourly position with an anticipated initial need for 4 – 8 hours per week on average. Pay range of $30 – $60 per hour, depending upon individual experience and skillset. The ideal candidate will be a freelancer with some open capacity, or someone with a regular job who is looking to generate additional income on the side.
As a contractor, you would be expected to:
- Keep your own schedule and set clear expectations around hours of availability.
- Provide our company with testing services on an as-needed basis.
- Provide invoices for hours worked, either weekly or monthly.
- Provide for and maintain your own computer equipment and software.
- Work on other projects or in other positions freely. We do not expect exclusivity.
Direct deposit is available to applicants living in the United States.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position. Thank you for your interest!