We’re excited to announce that we’re hiring a Web Developer to join our team. This is a full-time, salaried position that is open to anyone in the United States, Canada, Central America, or South America.
We are now accepting applications on Workable. Apply on Workable
About Equalize Digital
We’re a fully remote, Certified B Corporation and WordPress VIP Silver Agency Partner, specializing in building highly custom, accessibility-first websites, and web applications.
We have a premium WordPress plugin, Accessibility Checker, that audits websites for accessibility errors and displays results in the WordPress admin dashboard.
We organize the official WordPress Accessibility Meetup and are advocates for web accessibility in all we do.
Everything we do is driven by our core values.
We believe that there is a difference between “work” and “how you make a living.” We believe that joy can be found in work, but we also believe that there is more to life than work.
We believe that our actions can bring change, and we believe in inspiring others to be change agents in their businesses. There can always be more, we can always be better, and we can always grow both personally and professionally.
Web Developer Job Description
Web Developers at Equalize Digital build, extend, and support the custom WordPress websites we create both for customers and internal use. They take technical specifications and visual designs and turn them into best-in-class, accessible websites that are consistently delivered on-time and to specification.
This role works directly with our CTO, CEO, and creative team members and is often the primary developer on the project. Be part of a small team, where everyone’s contribution is critical to a project’s overall success.
Individuals who are results-driven and who want the opportunity to flex their development skills with a high degree of autonomy will thrive in this role.
- Fulfills at least 80% of the development tasks on new website projects, with limited support from CTO or contractors. Assigned tasks and development milestones are consistently achieved on-time and to specification.
- Extends existing websites with new functionality or designs, as requested. Changes to existing websites are delivered on-time and to specification, and do not add technical debt or stability issues.
- Monitors support channels and project dashboard communications for escalated support requests or miscellaneous tasks. Sets clear expectations for turnaround times on smaller tasks and stays on top of deadlines.
- Asks for help promptly and without hesitation using the framework (#5). Addresses work-related challenges openly and collaboratively.
- Uses the “HELP” framework to tackle problems both internally and with customers, and to arrive at resolutions more quickly.
- Follows established development project workflows. Proactively updates the team on progress and pushes up code for review as requested.
- Works effectively on large or complex WordPress projects in a small team setting. Able to extrapolate a realistic and accurate timeline from a technical brief and visual designs.
- Familiarity with WordPress core architecture, WordPress coding standards, and the WordPress block editor including proficiency in building custom blocks (Gutenberg). Broad, hands-on experience with mainstream WordPress themes and plugins is highly beneficial.
- Comfortable working within a variety of web/cloud platforms to achieve outcomes and solve issues. (Google Workspace, SMTP, DNS, SSL, CDN, Web Hosts)
- Understanding of and commitment to accessibility best practices and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, as well as responsive design, page speed, and basic SEO principles.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot plugin, theme, and server-level issues and arrives at solutions independently. Recognizes when they may have hit a wall and asks for help, when necessary.
- Comfortable helping and communicating with customers directly, at times. Proactively considers customer needs and creates a positive, professional experience.
Experience & Education
- Minimum 4 years of WordPress development experience.
- Has worked as the “primary” developer on several large WordPress projects.
- Nice to have: Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field or code bootcamp certification.
We prefer to work with individuals whose work hours align closely with US time zones. All applicants must be fluent in written and spoken English.
These are the qualities we value in our team:
- Efficiency. Able to produce significant results with minimal wasted effort.
- Persistence. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done, when necessary.
- Proactivity. Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Intelligence. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Builds trust, maintains confidence and focuses on doing the right thing.
- Adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Communication. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose. Maintains this standard across all channels of communication.
- Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Open to criticism and ideas. Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism.
$75k – $90k Salary (Assumes US Residence)
Specific compensation will fall within this range based on individual experience and local cost of living.
Beyond salary, this position includes the following benefits:
- 25 Paid Days Off
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 1 Week Off Paid December 25-30 for our all-company break
- 10 Days Additional PTO (increases to 15 Days after 3 years)
- Health Insurance
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance Available for US Residents
- Health Insurance Reimbursement Plan for International Team Members
- Continuing Education Opportunities
- Support and cost reimbursement for attending conferences, classes, and certification programs.
- Financial support for speaking engagements.
- Remote Work, Autonomy
- 100% remote.
- We trust our team to deliver high-quality work and to meet deadlines.
- Team members who maintain this trust will enjoy high levels of autonomy.
Working at Equalize Digital allows you to create meaningful change on the internet. Be excited about going to work each day, knowing you’re building and extending websites in a way that serves all people.
We are now accepting applications on Workable. Apply on Workable